Today's happy hour book, with a couple ounces of Bombay Sapphire gin...
Puerto Rico: What Everyone Needs to Know® (What Everyone Needs To KnowRG)


In 2006, the US Census Bureau estimated for the first time more persons of Puerto Rican origin were living in the fifty United States than on the Island.
The US Census Bureau estimates that the Island’s population will decline to less than three million by the year 2050 [currently 3.2 million].
Since I was very young, I was troubled by the constant question, “where are you from?” I usually answered, “I was born in Cuba, but I grew up in Puerto Rico.”
Half in jest, I often declare I am Cuba-Rican, rather than Cuban American, because until recently I had never lived continuously for long periods of time in the United States, even though I have been a US citizen since 1985.
My Cuban birth, coupled with longtime residence in Puerto Rico, gives me an odd status somewhere in between stranger and near-native of the Island.
My personal diasporic condition has undoubtedly shaped my research agenda, especially on transnational migration from the Hispanic Caribbean, mainly in Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic.
Despite the shifting terminology and objects of study, I have been primarily interested in how cross-border movements impact people’s sense of who they are and where they belong.
Much of this book is informed by this overriding concern—perhaps an intellectual obsession—with national and transnational identities.
I dedicate this work to all those who, like myself, have recently moved from the Island to Florida looking for a better life.


Why do so many Puerto Ricans move from Puerto Rico to the U.S.?
Chat GPT:
Several factors contribute to the significant migration of Puerto Ricans from Puerto Rico to the United States:
Economic Opportunities:
Puerto Rico has faced economic challenges for many years, including high unemployment rates, a high cost of living, and a shrinking job market.
Many Puerto Ricans move to the U.S. mainland in search of better job opportunities and higher wages.
Quality of Life:
Some individuals and families leave Puerto Rico seeking a better quality of life, including access to better healthcare, education, and overall living standards that they may find lacking or limited on the island.
Hurricane Impact:
Natural disasters, such as hurricanes (like Hurricane Maria in 2017), have had devastating effects on Puerto Rico's infrastructure, economy, and overall well-being.
These disasters have prompted some Puerto Ricans to relocate to the mainland U.S. in search of stability and safety.
Political Status:
Puerto Rico's status as a U.S. territory rather than a fully incorporated state influences its residents' rights and benefits.
Some Puerto Ricans may move to the mainland seeking greater political representation and rights, including access to federal programs and voting rights.
Family and Social Connections:
Migration patterns often follow existing social networks.
Puerto Ricans may have family members or friends already living in the U.S. mainland, which encourages further migration due to established support systems and opportunities for assistance.
Education:
Pursuing higher education or specialized training not readily available in Puerto Rico can motivate individuals to move to the mainland U.S. for educational purposes, with some choosing to remain there afterward for career opportunities.
Overall, the decision to leave Puerto Rico for the U.S. mainland is often a complex one influenced by a combination of economic, social, political, and personal factors, all aimed at seeking a better life and future prospects.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAT Manifesto Part 1 of 2 Rubric Cube Veracity and or Efficacy - 260802 edit